A(n) ___ vehicle is one which has been left unwanted

lustdevil

Simplified Chinese
1. A(n) ___ vehicle is one which has been left unwanted and discarded by its owner or by others.
A, deserted B, quit C, abandoned D,left

I think deserted and abandoned are both okay.

Help me,thanks in advance

<< Second question deleted. >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • boozer

Bulgarian
    Only abandoned is okay as far as I'm concerned.

Deserted implies that the vehicle needed some special care or had some special needs. I mean, you usually "desert" your wife and children, if you're heartless enough to do that.

lustdevil

Simplified Chinese
    thanks.But I wonder if this difference is too subtle for a English learner to feel,because all the dictionaries I can find tell me that desert is a syn. of abandon,and their definitions are almost the same, so I just can't tell

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    A deserted place is one where there are no longer any people: a deserted village abandoned permanently because of the plague, or temporarily because of a flood warning; a deserted factory permanently shut down, or temporarily empty because of a strike or holiday. So it sounds odd to say a car is deserted - as if it usually has people living in it, perhaps.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with Boozer that the only right answer in this case is abandoned.

"Abandoned car" is a common US phrase, and it does mean discarded; it is the term used here by police and other officials. Often, the license plates and other identifications have been removed.

If a vehicle is described as deserted, that doesn't mean that it has been discarded. And it's a word that's more usually used to refer to a person or a dwelling.

< Previous | Next >