a(n) enjoyable/entertaining/amusing/fun party

pickup

" España, español"
Are there any subtle differences in meaning between the adjectives "amusing, entertaining, fun, enjoyable"?

According to one intermediate dictionary:

An amusing person or thing makes you laugh or smile.

Something that is enjoyable gives you pleasure,

Something that is entertaining interests and amuses you.

In the sentence,

"It was a enjoyable/entertaining/amusing/fun party"

Is it possible to use any of the adjectives as synonyms? or Are there subtles differences in meaning between them?

Regards

pickup

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In "It was a(n) enjoyable/entertaining/amusing/fun party" which adjective do you think is most suitable? What aspect of the party are you trying to describe?

pickup

" España, español"
    case 1: Let´s imagine that somebody at the party is telling jokes and everyone is laughing.

case 2: Let´s imagine there is a great music band and people are enjoying.

case 3: Let´s imagine that somebody at the party is telling an interesting story and people are listening to it.

So how would these adjectives suit best in these three situations?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    And which adjective do you think is correct in that situation? We can hellp you better if we understand your thinking.

pickup

" España, español"
    case 1: It was a(n) enjoyable/entertaining/amusing/fun party.
    case 2: It was a(n) enjoyable/entertaining/amusing/fun party.
    case 3: It was an entertaining party.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    No context is given, so I'll assume that you are describing a party you went to.

The only one of those adjectives that would tempt me to go to your friend's party is "fun".

It was an enjoyable party. It sounds like lukewarm praise. I imagine the party was rather staid.
    It was an entertaining party. I don't expect to be "entertained" at a party.
    It was an amusing party. I would not be sure what was meant. I don't expect parties to be amusing, though I hope the people I meet there will be.

I don't think the adjectives you are asking about collocate particularly well with a "party".

A play might be entertaining or enjoyable, and if it's a comedy it may be amusing. If the play was fun, it was an enjoyable experience that probably made me laugh, and generally made me feel good.

< Previous | Next >