a n----- named Balum [use of dashes]

< Previous | Next >

MateuszMoś

Hello,

I have always wanted to read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn'" and I eventually managed to do it beacause I have found mondern translation.
In the modern translation I noticed the following thing:

The original text:

“Well, I ’uz gwyne to spen’ it, but I had a dream, en de dream tole me to give it to a nigger name’ Balum—Balum’s Ass dey call him for short; he’s one er dem chuckleheads, you know.

The modern translation:
“Well, I was going to spend it, but I had a dream that told me to give it to a n----- named Balum. His nickname was Balum’s Ass, because he’s a chucklehead, you know

The every next word (nigger) is written in this way. Could you please clarify me this remarkable thing?

• Matching Mole

England, English
    Moderator note

I have retitled this thread with a phrase relating to the topic. "Remarkable thing" is not a useful title. Please give your threads meaningful titles.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    If you look up nigger in the search box at the top of the page (set to "English definition") you will find a helpful usage note and links to several threads on the use of "nigger". They should help clarify the issue for you.

This thread may interest you as well: the N Word

Last edited:

-mack-

American English
    Just wanted to add that nigger is probably one of the most offensive words in existence in English (unless said by someone who is black, but that is another can of worms). Hence why even in a classic like Huckleberry Finn it has been censored at n-----. (Whereas for most other obscenities, this would not be done).

< Previous | Next >