A nada / de nada

Databoy

English - US
Sometimes using "a nada" seems intuitive, for example:

Sin ti mi vida no conduce a nada.
Without you, my life drives/leads nowhere/to nowhere.

But in the following sample sentences, I am confused; why not "de nada"?

• Quiero amarte sin miedo a nada.
  • La comida no sabe a nada, es totalmente insípida.
  • No temo a nada cuando estás conmigo.

I haven't figured out how to say thank you without 'chatting' on this forum, so thank you in advance.

• Foraneo

Español Argentina (tierra adentro)
    Ha! That's a tricky question. We even say " de nada" as an answer to "gracias". I don't know any rule for that. As you suggested, it's rather by intuition for me.

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Prepositions take a lot of intuition in any language, I suppose. :) I'd say the prepositions are related to the preceding verb rather than to 'nada' in these cases. So,
    Tener miedo a/de
    Saber a
    Temer a

By the way, thanking is not considered 'chatting' in the forum. You won't get deleted. :)

Quirce

Spanish-Madrid
    But...

Saber a is "to taste like", while saber de is "to have knowledge of".

And...

Temer a is "to be afraid of", while temer de is used in slightly different sense, as it entails particular actions coming from the person/thing I'm afraid of.
    - Temo a mis padres (anything they can do).
    - No temo nada de mis padres (no particular action coming from my parents)
    - Lo que temo del progreso es la contaminación.

gengo

American English
    Quiero amarte sin miedo a nada.
    As Amapolas has indicated above, both prepositions are correct in this instance. In fact, "miedo de nada" gets about 50% more googits than "miedo a nada." As you probably know, there are also situations in English in which we can choose among two or more prepositions without changing the meaning.

Buck the Dog

Español
    Esas oraciones no sonarían correctas si dijeran "de nada", como dijo el usuario más arriba, "de nada" se utiliza como respuesta a "gracias"

< Previous | Next >