a name for a person who goes to the toilet too often

< Previous | Next >

MedaBeda

Czech
Hello,

Are there any names used for a person who goes to the toilet a bit too often?

We have in Czech at least two I can now think of - one slangish word which is a bit funny, but we wouldn´t use it in more formal situations, and one which is a bit formal.

Are there any words for it in English?

• glamorgan

English (UK)
    I cannot think of any. Whenever I come across references to frequency of micturition, in speech or in writing, it is always done by reference to some description of the symptom itself.

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    Whenever I come across references to frequency of micturition, in speech or in writing, it is always done by reference to some description of the symptom itself.
    As somebody who is not a doctor or nurse, I had never encoutnrted ' 'frequency of micturition' until my recent brush with prostate cancer. Even then, my urologist had to explain what she meant by the expression.

glamorgan

English (UK)
    As somebody who is not a doctor or nurse, I had never encoutnrted ' 'frequency of micturition' until my recent brush with prostate cancer. Even then, my urologist had to explain what she meant by the expression.
    You have my sympathy.

It's not the most appealing medical expression, but I suppose it has the virtue of brevity. It can be shortened further to “frequency” when there is no possibility of ambiguity.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I can't find it online but I've heard the slang term "pea bladder". You have a bladder the size of a pea.

You can turn it around and say "A bladder the size of a pea" or some other small object.

Last edited:

glamorgan

English (UK)
    I can't find it online but I've heard the slang term "pea bladder". You have a bladder the size of a pea.

You can turn it around and say "A bladder the size of a pea." or some other small object.
    The OP asked for a term that could be applied to a person with urinary frequency. “The pea bladder (or any other disease) in bed 15” would have been a more or less acceptable formulation forty years ago, but not now. In any case, although I’ve never come across the expression “pea bladder” myself, it has the weakness that it assumes the symptom of urinary frequency is due to a specific, and diagnosed, cause when, in fact, it can be caused by many conditions.

glamorgan

English (UK)
    He has T B ='tiny bladder'.
    He might have something else that is also capable of causing the symptom of urinary frequency.

I’ve not come across T.B. as an abbreviation for tiny bladder. TB (Tuberculosis) of the bladder, on the other hand, is a real condition and one of its symptoms is frequent voiding.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    Pea bladder is not in common use in the US. I don't think we have a term for this, polite or otherwise, outside of the medical terminology. We just describe the phenomenon, "I have to take a piss every 15 minutes, seems like. Please pull over at the next gas station."

kentix

English - U.S.
    A few quotes from the web.

From the TV series "The Practice":
    Judge Pratt:
    Ms. Mackenzie, I have a bladder the size of a small cashew. Let's cut down the nonsense. Just answer his questions.

From "The Simpsons" (in Brazil):
    - I have a bladder the size of a brazil nut.
    - We just call them "nuts" here.

From a book about politicians and others who have a guard detail:
    "One of my friends has teased me through the years that I have a bladder the size of a thimble. To be honest, I have tended to agree..."
    She notes that her guards had to get used to her frequent bathroom breaks.

British director Joshua Oppenheimer:
    "I don't drink in the cinema because I have a bladder the size of a hummingbird."

None of these are references to specific medical conditions or diagnoses.

Last edited:

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    I've never heard a specific word for this although it's certainly an issue with people especially as they age.

MedaBeda

Czech
    Do you mean someone who literally visits the lavatory too often, or someone who is incontinent?

I can't think of a slang, or humorous, term for either.

someone who visits the toilet too often.

To have a week bladder or the bladder the size of .......... are awesome.

Big thanks to all of you for your comments.:)

< Previous | Next >