a national park, national monument, or other <types of protected area>

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Junwei Guo, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Junwei Guo

Junwei Guo Senior Member

Taiwan
    Chinese
    "The designation of a territory as a national park, national monument, or other types of protected area can limit activities such as oil drilling and logging and provide funding for staff to work on preservation, maintenance, and visitor assistance."
    For question 2, the answer is B(type of protected area).
    But I've been told that "other" should always take a plural noun, as in "other federal lawS", whereas "another" should always take a singular noun.
    Then why isn't "A. No Change" correct? I would say "... other types of ...".
    Thanks!:)

upload_2017-9-14_12-53-7.png

2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

Another Country
    English English
    I think what you say about other and another is generally correct, JG:thumbsup:

But in this particular case you have one indefinite article doing the work of three:
    The designation of a territory as a national park, [a] national monument, or [an]other types of protected area can limit ...

Compare with:
    The designation of territories as national parks, national monuments, or other types of protected area can limit ...:tick:

Does that help?

3. Junwei Guo

Junwei Guo Senior Member

Taiwan
    Chinese
    Thank you very much, Ewie! Then why not "C" - saying "areaS" by adding -s to "area"? Or is there any difference between B and C?
    Normally, I would think that "other types of...area" and "other types of...areaS" are interchangeable.

4. ewie

ewie Senior Member

Another Country
    English English
    I suppose it's area rather than areas because the things that go before it (a national park, a monument) both represent 'a singular type of area', and the people who wrote this wanted everything to be parallel:

a national park = a type of area
    a monument = a type of area
    [unknown] = a type of area
    :)

5. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    You are designating a single territory as a protected area of some kind. While you may have a number of types of protected areas, the territory you are designating will only be one type.

6. Junwei Guo

Junwei Guo Senior Member

Taiwan
    Chinese
    Thank you so much :)