A neat Barcelona...

< Previous | Next >

TraductoraPobleSec

Catalan & Spanish
I wonder if anyone could give a hand with the following, which I need to understand in English before I translate into Catalan:

"I got back to Barcleona about 7.30, and found X had been calling on the consul, also amusing himself with shopping, and now able to appear with 'a neat Barcelona tied round his neat neck'"

"A neat Barcelona tied round his neat neck" appears between quotation marks in the original. I guess it refers to a neat tie bought in Barcelona.

Thanks in advance.

• ewie

English English
    barcelona [obs.] A handkerchief or neckerchief of soft twilled silk [-1833] (OED)
    A bit of research goes a long way:D

Lis48

English - British
    Neat is used in its old sense to mean tidy not in its modern meaning. He´s just using a pun about buying a Barcelona cravate from Barcelona. It´s in quotes because it comes from the famous old Irish song about Donnybrook Fair and the Irishmen who dress up all smart to go there and find a lady to marry. Wearing a Barcelona would have been the height of fashion then.

An Irishman, all in his glory, is there,
    With his sprig of Shillelah and shamrock so green!
    His clothes spick and span new, without e'er a speck,
    A neat Barcelona tied round his neat neck;

Last edited:

TraductoraPobleSec

Catalan & Spanish
    Wow! I live in Barcelona myself and had never ever heard in my life that there was a type of kerchief named after the city. Does anyone know whether foulard would paraphrase it?

Thanks in advance :)

ewie

English English
    You live and learn, don't you, TPS?
    The two 'gender-specific' references in the OED indicate that ladypeople wear foulards ...

< Previous | Next >