"a nervous tension that came perilous close to fear"

< Previous | Next >

Zhi

Chinese
Today I started reading the novel A Game of Thrones. On mere page 1, I came across this sentence(see attachment), and got cold feet - it seems this author uses language in a way that's beyond the grammar I learned at school. Do you guys think the correct grammar should have been either "came perilous and close to fear" or "came perilously close to fear"? If he writes the whole book like this, I'll read something easier instead. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Edit: The complete sentence is:

You could taste it: a nervous tension that came close to fear.
Added by Cagey, moderator

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    came perilously close to fear
    This is the correct reading. The omission of the -ly ending is intended to give an archaic feeling to the text.

I suggest you find another book. When authors try to write in an 'old fashioned' style, they create a lot of problems for the readers. In addition, such books are not examples of well-written English you can imitate in your own writing. Providing examples of well-constructed prose is one way that reading can be helpful learners.

Zhi

Chinese
    Wow, unbelievable. I'm not alone. I'm used to search before asking, but didn't search this time because really didn't expect finding anything. Looks like this book is a trap for English learners.

< Previous | Next >