a never-ending appraisal of beauty

< Previous | Next >

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

I felt naked at first. I had never worn more than mascara, blush, maybe a bit of eyeshadow for special occasions. But I didn’t realize how much those little embellishments protected me. They were my armor in a world where being female feels like a never-ending appraisal of beauty.

(This comes from manrepeller.com The Year Without Makeup by Clare Kane on March 12, 2015.)

I don't understand the meaning of the blue part. What does "being female feels like an appraisal"?

Thanks in advance!

• Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I think she is trying to say "... a world in which being female makes one feel is though she is constantly subjected to a never-ending appraisal of her beauty." Or in simpler words "... a world in which a woman is constantly judged by how attractive she is."

ironman2012

Chinese
    Thank you!
    1. Does "beauty" here mean "a person that is beautiful", rather than "the quality of being pleasing to the senses or to the mind"? That is, a person who is appraised.

2. Is the original sentence in #1 a well-constructed sentence?

wandle

English - British
    (1) It means the quality.
    (2) It is not logically expressed. As written, it says that a female feels as if her life was one of always appraising beauty.

It can be corrected by saying 'feels like being under a never-ending appraisal of beauty'.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >