a new build property

< Previous | Next >

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

According to some, purchasing an 'Akiya' home is deemed 'absolute social failure', but with house prices in Tokyo creeping up (around $790,000 for a new build property in January 2018), it may be an option worth considering for many young families.

(This comes from dailymail.co.uk Japan is GIVING AWAY abandoned homes and selling others dirt-cheap because superstitious buyers don't want an 'unlucky' house by LAURA HEDGES and JULIAN ROBINSON on November 23, 2018. )

Since "build" is a verb, is "a new build property" correct here? Should it be changed to "a newly built property"?

Thanks in advance!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's often written as a single word, newbuild. And it can be a noun: a newbuild. And ships can also be newbuilds.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes, it's not describing a specific house, it's the name of a category. It's not a renovation, it's a "new build".

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    While we're on this, it also common occurs in the form newbuilding, which can be a newly built thing (house or ship), or the process. Let me assure you it disturbed me the first few times I saw it, until I established it was standard in the business.

The Conservatives’ conference provided the mood music; in between nights spent in a short-let, new-build house in the neighbourhood of Bletchley, I drove and wandered around business districts and ever-expanding housing developments, trying to get a sense of where the country has arrived.

‘Amid new-build houses and cutting-edge workplaces, a lot of people are waiting for something different.’ Milton Keynes housing being built in 1975. Photograph: Simmons Aerofilms/Getty Images

Britain is less polarised than the media would have us believe | John Harris

This expression is new to me. Any speakers outside the UK and Canada using it? I expect the usual type of construction,
    e.g. a new-found friend. The process that gives 'new build' would give, "He's my new-find friend." :confused: How's that sound in BE? Are there examples similar to 'new-build' with adjective and bare present-tense verb form.

I note, from above posts, that new-build appears in Oxford.

ADD: One US example:

Windsor Ridge in Penfield, NY | Prices, Plans, Availability

Rating: 3.3 - ‎13 reviews
    Jan 16, 2019 - Windsor Ridge is a new single family home development by Ryan ... Our new-build homes let you select the right homesite, the right floor plan ...

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >