A new habit will be starting from tomorrow

< Previous | Next >

lingkky

chinese
I have never played baminton before.Today, I planned to play adminton every day starting from tomorrow. I swear that I will do it.

Regarding to the situation above,how.should I answer the questions below?

Question
Do you play badminton every day?
No/Yes.I will do it starting from tomorrow.

yes or no?

• snargleplax

English - Northwestern United States
    The best answer depends on the perceived purpose of the question. The problem is that if you reduce the response to a simple "yes" or "no," you can't really say "yes" because you haven't started yet. That's not only true in a technical sense, but it would easily be seen as pompous posturing to claim a daily exercise habit before going about it for even a single day. But of course, simply saying "no" throws away information that may well be relevant to the purpose of the interrogator's question.

You're better off (in terms of conveying meaning) if you can give a qualified response, like "Not yet, but I'm about to start."

lingkky

chinese
    The best answer depends on the perceived purpose of the question. The problem is that if you reduce the response to a simple "yes" or "no," you can't really say "yes" because you haven't started yet. That's not only true in a technical sense, but it would easily be seen as pompous posturing to claim a daily exercise habit before going about it for even a single day. But of course, simply saying "no" throws away information that may well be relevant to the purpose of the interrogator's question.

You're better off (in terms of conveying meaning) if you can give a qualified response, like "Not yet, but I'm about to start."
    "No.But I will start doing it from tomorrow."
    Can I answer it like this?
    Does it make sense?

snargleplax

English - Northwestern United States
    It makes sense, but it feels a little odd to say "doing it" here -- it's redundant to redescribe the verb so immediately. "I will start from tomorrow" isn't idiomatic in AE but I think maybe it is in BE (I'm American, so I won't speak for them). The way I'd say it is "No, but I will be (doing so) as of tomorrow."

< Previous | Next >