A new notch in your belt is all I'll ever be

dee4dee

Indonesian
Can anyone help me how to say that expression in German?

Or to express this sentence,

'I was nothing but a new notch in your belt is all I'll ever be.'

Vielen Dank!! ^^

• djweaverbeaver

English Atlanta, GA USA
    Hi,

I know I've heard the expression nur eine Kerbe im Bettpfosten sein, which is identical to an equivalent English expression to be a notch on the/one's bedpost. I just wonder how to best render what you've said into German so that it sounds idiomatic.

My attempt,

Ich war nichts, aber mehr als eine neue Kerbe in deinem Bettpfosten werde ich niemals werden.
    Ich war nichts, aber mehr als eine neue Kerbe in deinem Bettpfosten zu sein kann ich einfach vergessen.

Not a pretty attempt I say. :eek:

poisongift

English (American)
    'I was nothing but a new notch in your belt is all I'll ever be.'
    I think that the title of this thread makes sense, but this sentence here does not. I believe it's a typo, i.e., a superimposition of two valid sentences that become redundant when put together.

What I'm trying to say is that the original poster meant to write either "I was nothing but a new notch in your belt" or "A new notch in your belt is all I'll ever be" and accidentally combined them...?

Djweaverbeaver's translations are pretty good. You could just chop off the "Ich war nichts, aber" part.

Liam Lew's

I agree with poisongift.

I was nothing but a new notch in your belt.
    Ich war nichts als eine weitere/neue Kerbe in deinem Bettpfosten.

A new notch in your belt is all I'll ever be.
    Das einzige, was ich (für dich) jemals sein werde, ist eine weitere Kerbe in deinem Bettpfosten. Eine weitere Kerbe in deinem Bettpfosten ist alles, was ich jemals (für dich) sein werde.

djweaverbeaver's first suggestions is also good with a slight change:
    A new notch in your belt is all I'll ever be.
    Ich werde niemals/nie mehr als eine neue/weitere Kerbe in deinem Bettpfosten sein.

djweaverbeaver

English Atlanta, GA USA
    Very true,

I re-read the original sentence several times trying to figure out what was meant. Maybe I was reading too much into it trying to make sense of it, but I meant perhaps the following:
    "I was nothing (to you), and a new notch in your belt is all I'll ever be (to you)", the only really being changing "but" to "and". Only dee4dee know what s/he really meant.

< Previous | Next >