A new round of tariffs Trump had threatened to go into effect this month will be delayed.

< Previous | Next >

grammar-in-use

Chinese
Hello everyone,

President Donald Trump on Friday announced a partial trade deal between the United States and China, saying a "phase one" agreement has been reached aimed at calming more than a year of global economic uncertainty as the world's two largest economic powers imposed retaliatory tariffs on national goods.
A new round of tariffs Trump had threatened to go into effect this month will be delayed.

Source: Trump announces US-China 'phase 1' trade deal, tariff truce

Questions:
1. Can I rewrite the boldfaced portion of the last sentence as:
A new round of tariffs Trump had threatened that was set to go into effect this month will be delayed.
??
2. Why is the past perfect tense "had threatened" used here?

I'd really appreciate your help.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    I would rewrite it like this:

A new round of tariffs Trump had threatened would go into effect this month will be delayed.

He made that threat in the past. But that threat is no longer valid since those tariffs won't go into effect.

grammar-in-use

Chinese
    Thank you very much for your quick responses!

A new round of tariffs Trump had threatened would go into effect this month will be delayed.
    I understand this rewrite of yours. I think we can insert "that" before Trump, right?
    A new round of tariffs that Trump had threatened would go into effect this month will be delayed.

Then in the original sentence, which part is the relative clause, "Trump had threatened" or "Trump had threatened to go into effect this month"?
    In other words, is it "Trump had threatened a new round of tariffs (plus a new round of tariffs would go into effect this month)" or "Trump had threatened a new round of tariffs to go into effect this month"?

< Previous | Next >