a new train station, new airport and subway system

asaisaio

Banned
Chinese
"From 2008 to 2011, the city implemented [a] three-year plan which concluded with the reorganization of the city, resulting in an increase of green areas, improved urbanization, and the construction of a new train station, new airport and subway system."
I was wondering (1) if it is correct to use an "a" in [] if the plan is the first time to be mentioned and (2) if it is correct that there is no "a" preceding the "new airport" and "subway system" (that is, whether it should be "a new train station, a new airport and a subway system"?)

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The "a" before "three-year plan" is correct and necessary. No "a" is needed before "airport" or "subway system", and neither is the "new" before "airport". In AE, we would more likely write, ". . . the construction of a new train station, airport, and subway system." It's understood that "a new" applies to all three.

Andygc

British English
    a new train station, new airport and subway system.
    I agree with Parla on the use of articles. However, as clumsy as this sounds, I can't agree with her use of 'new'. If both train station and airport already exist, but there is no existing subway, the original would be correct.

asaisaio

Banned
    Chinese
    I agree with Parla on the use of articles. However, as clumsy as this sounds, I can't agree with her use of 'new'. If both train station and airport already exist, but there is no existing subway, the original would be correct.
    Yes, you are correct. Both the train station and airport already exist.

< Previous | Next >