a night as large as Saturn

Moon Shine

Vietnamese
Hi, I'm reading a book named If you find me" by Emily Murdoch and I'm confused when reading this sentence:
"But that was last night, a night as large as Saturn"

What happened last night that the main character told her dad about she was raped and then she killed that man and she felt relieved when didn't have to carry that dark secret anymore.

But what does it mean when saying "a night as large as Saturn"? Please explain for me :)

Last edited:
  • dojibear

English - Northeast US
    THe phrase is odd. I have no idea why the author says this. English has no tradition of using Saturn as an example of something big.

Clearly the sentence says that last night was very large (meaning "very important"). But why "Saturn"?

suzi br

English / England
    THe phrase is odd. I have no idea why the author says this. English has no tradition of using Saturn as an example of something big.

Clearly the sentence says that last night was very large (meaning "very important"). But why "Saturn"?
    I agree.

But equally we could say: "Why not Saturn?" An author has to find fresh ways and avoid clichés. Saturn has been in the news a lot thanks to its amazing space probe photos, so maybe it's fashionable?

Planets of any size don't really seem that big from here on earth, though, so I still give it the thumbs down.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I'm reading a book names If you find me by Emily Murdoch
    I'm reading a book named If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch ...
    I'm reading a book named "If You Find Me" by Emily Murdoch ...

(It's just easier to follow your question if you make sure to give the title in a conventional way. :))
    "But that was last night, a night as large as Saturn"
    I don't really understand it either. Saturn is the second largest planet so it is big, but as Suzie points out, not so very big seen from planet Earth. It is named after the Roman god, in whose honor the ancient Romans held a mid-winter festival in which all kinds of craziness happened. The rings of planet Saturn are famous. None of those really go together as a metaphor, unless something sparks an idea for you. They are just suggestions.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >