"a non-existent noun"

< Previous | Next >
Hello :)
When I was watching a show on Polish TV the other day I heard one woman say a noun which is normally non-existent in Polish language but in this situation she used it to describe the way dancers (the show is about dancing) moved. The noun could be described as a quality or state of being like a cat. My question is how would you build this noun in English? Would that be catness or something else?
Thank you in advance :)

• Joelline

American English
    Well, I'm not sure I would make up a noun derived from "cat" because it might be misunderstood (or poorly understood) by many people. BUT, if I did make up such a noun, it might be "catting" for the quality and "catter" for the person, though I'd be hardput to put these in a sentence that I'd actually use (The catting of the dancers was lovely to behold! / The catter was most convincing!)!!!

jdenson

USA / English
    majlo said:
    Hello :)
    When I was watching a show on Polish TV the other day I heard one woman say a noun which is normally non-existent in Polish language but in this situation she used it to describe the way dancers (the show is about dancing) moved. The noun could be described as a quality or state of being like a cat. My question is how would you build this noun in English? Would that be catness or something else?
    Thank you in advance :)
    It isn't uncommon, in English, to use nonce words (words created for a special purpose). Someone might very well say "My cat is the very essence of 'catness'", with "catness" in quotes to point out its "nonceness".
    JD

rsweet

English, North America
    There's a ballet step that's called "pas de chat" (cat step). I believe French is used in all languages for ballet steps.

< Previous | Next >