a note from the dean put me on academic probation?

< Previous | Next >

elyssia

chinese
hello
A note from the dean put me on academic probation:
The sentence means that " the dean informs me that I have been allowed to go free under the supervision . what is the meaning of the red part ?
Please explain !
Thanks !

• aragorn

Banned
    australian - australia
    elyssia said:
    A note from the dean put me on academic probation:
    The sentence means that " the dean informs me that I have been allowed to go free under the supervision . what is the meaning of the red part ?
    Please explain !
    Thanks !
    In that context the red phrase needs to continue

to go free under the supervision of Professor Smith...

This means that the student is required to satisfy Professor Smith that the student is fulfilling some requirements

aragorn
    fulfilling my requirements

aragorn

Banned
    australian - australia
    To be allowed to continue with whatever the student was able to do before whatever unstated problem occurred

aragorn
    avoiding problems

elyssia

chinese
    aragorn
    "be allowed to continue with whatever the student was able to do before whatever unstated problem occurred"(selected from aragorn's post )
    " A note from the dean put me on academic probation:"
    are the two sentence the same meaning ?
    Or can I explain the second sentence in this way :
    The dean criticized me for my failing marks "?
    Thanks !

daoxunchang

Chinese China
    elyssia said:
    aragorn
    "be allowed to continue with whatever the student was able to do before whatever unstated problem occurred"(selected from aragorn's post )
    " A note from the dean put me on academic probation:"
    are the two sentence the same meaning ?
    Or can I explain the second sentence in this way :
    The dean criticized me for my failing marks "?
    Thanks !
    I think you have missed "probation", which means "the processing of testing, for a usu. fixed length of time, the suitability of a person's character, abilities, etc. (e.g. for a job or for membership of a society)(Longman). Its Chinese explanation: 试用期,见习期.
    As I understand it, "A note from the dean put me on academic probation" might mean the note is a recommendotary note and the dean wrote it to make "me" be received as a potential teacher(sorry I don't remember the term for this. Hope you understand me) or something.
    And the second sentence: ... to go free under the supervison. I think this means the recommended person is to work under the "guidance" of somebody and can enjoy a rather free way of doing things.
    If I'm wrong in any way, please correct me. Thanks.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There is some confusion here between two different, but related, uses of the word probation.

In the UK legal system, the court may sentence someone to a period of probation. That means they do not have to go to prison (they may go free) but they must remain under the supervision of the probation authorities.

The other use is in relation to employment (as daoxunchang explained) or a variety of different contexts. Just to confirm the employment use first. Where I work, every new employee is appointed for a six months probationary period before their employment is confirmed. During that period, their performance is monitored closely and reported on formally.

In the academic context, probabation still means a period of close supervision. This might be because a student has been showing signs of poor performance, or alternatively because he has been admitted to a course of study that may be too difficult.

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    I did some translating work last term. There is a woman whose working performance is so poor that her boss says something like this: "I'm sorry, but I have to put you on probation".
    An extended use of the legal term, I think.

boonognog

English (U.S.)
    At the root of the word probation is this need to prove you are :
    • worthy (of the honor) and capable (of the task)
    • reliable (in your word) and reformed (in your deeds)
    A new employee in under automatic probation to prove he is worthy and capable.

A convicted criminal may be put on probation to prove he is reliable and reformed.

The gist of both contexts is that the individual is under close supervision, but otherwise free to do what they need to do. If the requested behavior or skillset is not demonstrated then there will be repercussions later.

< Previous | Next >