a number of fronts

valafon

France / français
Hello. I have to study a text in which there is a sentence I really do not understand the sense :
The sentence is :"many countries are forced into negotiations fatigue, where a small numer of under-resourced officals have to deal with a range of simultaneous trade and investment talks on a number of fronts"
Here is my translation : "beaucoup de pays sont contraints à de fatigantes négociations(?), dans lesquelles un petit nombre de fonctionnaires sous-documentés doivent négocier avec une étendue d'investissement et d'échange simultanés exposés sur un nombre de façades."
C'est du vrai charabia pour moi ^!! please : HELP

• olaf85

US English
    Okay, my French is terrible, but I'll try to help you out.

Beaucoup de pays sont contraints à de fatigue/épuisement de négociations, dans lesquelles un petit nom/peu de fonctionnaires avec peu de ressources/moyens doivent s'occuper avec une grande variete de discussions simultanes d'investissement et de commerce sur un nombre de fronts/aspects.

Hope that helps some!!

valafon

France / français
    Your french is better that my english ! well, so negotiations fatigue would mean that there are a kind of no-end negotiations.So the general meaning of that sentence is that most of the countries have unqualified staff to negociate investment and trade.
    Is that correct ? thanks in advance for your help

olaf85

US English
    What I understand of the sentence (which is difficult even for a native english speaker!) is that the because of a lack of resources and staff, the negotiations are exhausting for those participating in them.

The sentence is awkwardly phrased, but that is how I understand it.

archijacq

french France
    "Negotiation Fatigue Syndrome (NFS) most often sets in when one’s desire for agreement is high, while simultaneously their fatigue level is also high. As these two elements converge, the interests of the party fades dangerously from the picture. NFS may arise at various points in the negotiation process, but is most inopportune where an agreement is apparently tantalizingly close, that is often with one final remaining issue."

suggestion: "négociations à l'usure"...se déroulant sur plusieurs fronts à la fois

valafon

France / français
    this awkward phrase has been written in an International Herald Tribune issue ! that is why it is difficult to undersand !!
    and thanks to both of you for your explanation

< Previous | Next >