A number of grown refugees

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello everyone,

A number of grown refugees in the United States are suffering from poverty.

Is this sentence correct? Can "grown refugees" mean "refugees who became adults"?

Thanks in advance.

• JamesM

Where did you find this, Akasaka? It's an unusual way to put it. "Grown" is sometimes used casually for "adult", but "grown refugees" almost sounds like they are a crop of some kind.

Akasaka

Japanese
    Where did you find this, Akasaka? It's an unusual way to put it. "Grown" is sometimes used casually for "adult", but "grown refugees" almost sounds like they are a crop of some kind.
    You mean "grown refugees" do not mean "grown-up refugees"? Without "up", it cannot be used for humans?

This is a sentence from my drill book. I have four alternatives. This is one of them, which seemed to me possible. The correct answer was "A growing number of refugees in the United States are suffering from poverty."

JamesM

You mean "grown refugees" do not mean "grown-up refugees"? Without "up", it cannot be used for humans?
    "Grown" is sometimes used in a casual way to emphasize the fact that someone is an adult (usually when the adult is acting like a child):

"I can't believe that you - a grown woman - would behave so childishly!"
    "Are you telling me that you, a grown man, still has his mother cut the crust off his sandwiches?"

"Grown employees", though, doesn't sound very natural. It doesn't communicate the same thing as "adult employees".

This is a sentence from my drill book. I have four alternatives. This is one of them, which seemed to me possible. The correct answer was "A growing number of refugees in the United States are suffering from poverty."
    The correct answer is definitely the one directly above. ;)

< Previous | Next >