a number of strings moved to the port

LouZoo

Colombia Spanish
Indeed a number of strings moved to the port alone resulting in a loss of around 200,000 TEU per annum.

I'm stuck with the word "strings" in this sentences. It's a translation about ports on the Caribbean. Help!

• SergioPOE

Spain, English and Spanish
    Lou,

the use of the word "indeed" makes me think there may be a hint as to what they mean by strings in a preceding sentence.

Sergio

LouZoo

Colombia Spanish
    I've been wondering:

Indeed Minks Line recently announced that with effect from October 2007 it will no longer be calling directly to MIT (or Kingston) with its ACL! (Latin America - Far East) string, but serving on a relay feeder basis from Balboa, with the likely effects . . .

• . Lo cierto es que Minks Line recientemente anunció que a partir de Octubre de 2007 no llegará directamente a MIT (ni a Kingston) pero con su string ACL1 (Latinoamérica-el Lejano Oriente) sirviendo en base a un alimentador de relevo de Balboa, con el efecto . . .
    Don't you think that in this context "string" may be some kinds of smaller ships?

SergioPOE

Spain, English and Spanish
    The term definitely seems to be connected to the shipping and container industry, but I can't quite pin down the meaning, maybe "route." Do a searh ciwh the terms shipping, container and string and see what comes up.
    I can't post URLs yet, so do a google search with the term "NYK are pleased to announce that they have reached agreement to operate jointly ". You can look at the page in both English and Spanish.
    The term string in English seems to be ruta in Spanish.
    Sergio

LouZoo

Colombia Spanish
    Thanks, SerioPOE, I'm going to do that right away. I have searched everywhere but with no luck so far. I'll let you know when I come up with something. Thanks!

LouZoo

Colombia Spanish
    I just wanted to tell you that strings in thi sense means "flota" (fleet) - una flota de barcos. I got the info from a very reliable maritime source.

< Previous | Next >