A nurse came to me and said it's/it was over?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by daniar, Jul 17, 2014.

1. daniar

daniar Senior Member

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Hello everyone.
    I was watching a TV programme called Body Bizarre and because many of the people with unusual body diseases and mutations are from third-world countries or from other areas where English is not taught as a second language, subtitles are put (not sure if it sounds idiomatic) when such people are speaking. One of the sentences was:'A nurse came to me and said it's over.'. My question is, why did the translators have chosen not to change the verb tense when reporting the nurse's words? Yes, the operation was over, is now over and this statement will always be true but the operation has finished only once, it doesn't keep on finishing every moment, i.e. the situation is not true in the present, is it? Then, what is the reason to use the same tense as in the original speech?
    Appreciate all your replies.
    Daniar

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. 'A nurse came to me and said it's over.'

Perhaps that subtitle should have read 'A nurse came to me and said "It's over".'

3. George French Senior Member

English - UK

4. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    George, we're not told that the patient died but that the surgery had been completed.

I agree with Rover. Punctuation can make a big difference.

5. daniar

daniar Senior Member

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Well, the subtitle read ' A nurse came to me and said it's over.' So, it's a mistake, isn't it?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  6. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    You might be right... I suppose we need more context to determine what it going on.

'A nurse came to me and said it's over.' There is not just enough context....

GF..

Unfortunately we are just speculating........

7. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Are you sure that it was not: "A nurse came to me and said, "It's over.""?

8. daniar

daniar Senior Member

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Yes, I am absolutely sure.