a.o.

jakubek

polonais
Hello,
I don't fully understand the sentence:

"In order to complete the application, you will need a.o. the following information..."

Maybe it's not crucial for understanding the whole sentence, however I would like to know what a.o. exactly means.

Thanks,
jakubek

• Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    I'm not familiar with this abbreviation. I see that "a/o" can mean "and others". In your context, it sounds like "a.o." might mean "all of".

Are you reading instructions on a form? What kind of form is it? What country is it from?

Loob

English UK
    To me it looks like "amongst others" - in other words, an anglicisation of inter alia.

Whatever it means, it's not a standard abbreviation...:(

jakubek

polonais
    Thanks. The sentence is taken from a web site of a Belgian university. Anyway, I see that there is no point in further analysing the meaning of this abbreviation.

ewie

English English
    No, I've never come across it before either. If it is all of, as Franzi suggests (and as I read it), I wonder what the point of it is:
    all of ~ 6 characters including space
    a.o. ~ 4 characters
    They could've saved a lot more space by saying To rather than In order to ...

miatamaniac

Dutch - Netherlands
    Thanks. The sentence is taken from a web site of a Belgian university. Anyway, I see that there is no point in further analysing the meaning of this abbreviation.
    It makes sence in Dutch (Flamish). I would be "onder andere" (abbreviated o.a.), which literally means "amongst others", hence the odd acronym. So this is not a common way of saying nor a common acronym in English? I've been struggling with the translation several times myself.

< Previous | Next >