"A" or "À"

• Léa123

French - France
    Placed in the begining of a sentence, it will always be "à". "a" without an accent is a verb.

A good way to know for sure (I learned that in school!!) : If you can replace the word "a" by "avoir", there should be no accent, as it indicates it is the verb. If you can't, you should put the accent.

Ex:
    -Je vais à l'école. "avoir" l'école is wrong, so an accent should be placed on the "a".
    -Elle a l'air heureuse. "avoir l'air heureuse" is correct. There should be no accent there.

I hope it makes sense!

edit: oups! I didn't understand your question right! Sorry about that! As a capital letter, both are correct as cropje jnr mentionned.

Punky Zoé

Pau
    France - français
    Hi

The rule says "yes", the habit, at least in France "it depends" ! :D .

It was just to summarize that looooooong thread ! :rolleyes: (which shows how complicated it is ...)

As for me, I didn't learn the rule at school or later, but since I went on WRF I began to accentuate capitals.

Dr. Baha'i

English - U.S.
    Likewise, the capitalized equivalent of é does not have to have an accent. I'm not sure about the tréma (umlaut), though. And I'm reasonably sure that c with cedilla has to keep its tail as a capital.

< Previous | Next >