1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

a or the football team

Discussion in 'English Only' started by s21d, Feb 3, 2016.

1. s21d Senior Member

hindi
    1.Tom is the best player in a/the football team.
    2.The/ a lion is the/a king of the jungle.
    I think in sentence 1,'the' is appropriate and in sentence 2 'a' and 'the' are appropriate but I would be utterly grateful to you if you could confirm it.

2. Glasguensis

Glasguensis Signal Modulation

Versailles
    English - Scotland
    "The lion is the king of the jungle" is a set expression. Grammatically it would be possible to use "a" but then it sounds odd because you are deviating from the well-known saying.
    In sentence 1, both are possible - it depends on what you are trying to express.

3. dojibear

dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    1.Tom is the best player in a/the football team.

Here using "a" the sentence parses "Tom is the best (player in a football team)". So if there are 100 teams of 30 players, he is the best of all 3,000 players. With "the" it means a single team, and the reader is expected to know which team is meant.

Note we normally say "on" a sports team, not "in" it.

2.The/a lion is the/a king of the jungle.

The sentence is intended to mean "the species called lion is the dominant species in the jungle...the top species... the king"

Since lion is singular (one species) and known to the reader (only one lion species) it takes the.

Similarly only one species can be the king (top) species in the jungle. So it is the king there, not a king among several.

"The lion is the king of the jungle".

This is also sometimes "The lion is king of the jungle". Here king acts as an adjective meaning "ruling over all others".

4. s21d Senior Member

hindi
    thank you...

5. s21d Senior Member

hindi
    thank you..

6. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    If "we" is "we North Americans", yes, but we Britons normally say "in".

7. Englishmypassion

Englishmypassion Senior Member

Nainital
    India - Hindi
    Sorry but I don't think "king" acts as an adjective here. It instead acts as a noun that stands for the status/position of being a king.

8. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    Really? We Irish would usually say 'on'

9. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Well, there's a generational divide in the UK. We old 'uns grew up with "in the team"; the kids where I live say "on the team".