"A pain in the butt (ass)" [another expression?]

indigoduck

Canadian English
Hi all,
I've opted to adjust the choice of vulgarity in my expressions. Instead of refering to somebody as a "pain in the backhind (a$$)".

What's a better choice of words ?

• Majorbloodnock

British English
    I'd agree with MG; "pain in the neck" is the obvious alternative, leaving you with the option to change to a lower opinion later ;).

If you want to be a little more oblique and gentle, how about "challenging to deal with"?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I've opted to adjust the choice of vulgarity in my expressions. Instead of refering to somebody as a "pain in the backhind (a$$)".

What's a better choice of words ?
    Well, your original is a little off: It's not "backhind" but behind--or backside, ass, or butt (which is just short for buttocks, the correct anatomical word).

These are, of course, vulgar expressions--not shocking, these days, but not expressions you would use in formal writing or at a business meeting or in a social situation with other than friends.

As another respondent has suggested, pain in the neck is a polite substitute; it's still somewhat casual, but not considered vulgar.

kalamazoo

US, English
    Or, forget the anatomy, and just say "dealing with him is a pain" or "he's kind of a pain to deal with."

< Previous | Next >