"A pain in the butt (ass)" [another expression?]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by indigoduck, Oct 14, 2010.

1. indigoduck Senior Member

Canadian English
    Hi all,
    I've opted to adjust the choice of vulgarity in my expressions. Instead of refering to somebody as a "pain in the backhind (a$$)".

What's a better choice of words ?

2. mancunienne girl Senior Member

England
    English - England
    A pain in the backside.
    A pain in the bum.

Or, if you want to avoid the use of the rear end altogether "a pain in the neck".

3. Majorbloodnock Senior Member

South East England
    British English
    I'd agree with MG; "pain in the neck" is the obvious alternative, leaving you with the option to change to a lower opinion later ;).

If you want to be a little more oblique and gentle, how about "challenging to deal with"?

4. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    Well, your original is a little off: It's not "backhind" but behind--or backside, ass, or butt (which is just short for buttocks, the correct anatomical word).

These are, of course, vulgar expressions--not shocking, these days, but not expressions you would use in formal writing or at a business meeting or in a social situation with other than friends.

As another respondent has suggested, pain in the neck is a polite substitute; it's still somewhat casual, but not considered vulgar.

5. kalamazoo Senior Member

US, English
    Or, forget the anatomy, and just say "dealing with him is a pain" or "he's kind of a pain to deal with."