a parallelism problem

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
Hi,

Is there a parallelism issue with the following sentence?

Prize money will be given to the best dressed, the worst dressed, and the most “interesting” garment.

I'd appreciate your help.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes: you don't give prize money "to" a garment.

If you change it to "Prizes will be given for..." the rest of it will work, I think.

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    Yes: you don't give prize money "to" a garment.

If you change it to "Prizes will be given for..." the rest of it will work, I think.
    Would "for" solve the problem? The best-dressed and the worst-dressed refer to people, whereas the most interesting garment refers to a garment. Would it be natural to put them together?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Would "for" solve the problem? The best-dressed and the worst-dressed refer to people, whereas the most interesting garment refers to a garment. Would it be natural to put them together?
    Yes, I don't see why not.

The best dressed [person]. the worst-dressed [person], the most interesting garment... etc. are all categories in the competition, for each of which a prize is given. I assume that's the context you're envisaging here, by the way. :)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    They're natural names for the prizes or categories: I won Best Dressed, and you won Most Interesting Garment. The original sentence implicitly lists these as names.

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    They're natural names for the prizes or categories: I won Best Dressed, and you won Most Interesting Garment. The original sentence implicitly lists these as names.
    Are you suggesting the OP sentence is OK?
    If they are names for prizes, does it make sense to say "A sum of $500 will be given to first prize and second prize"?

< Previous | Next >