A parameter called "no-explode".

frangs

Spanish Spain
Hello,

In a patent about software for group communications in Internet, they define a new parameter which they give the name "no-expl" ("no-explode").

As they explain, this parameter serves to point out if a request for a communication group is for all group members or only for some of them. ("If the invitation request contained a "no-expl" parameter, the server recognizes that this invitation request is for group communication in which a specifically defined group of participants is to be invited". Previously they explained that when the invitation request does not contain this parameter, then all of the group members are invited.)

I don't understand why they chose "no-explode" for this parameter, don't see the relation between the meaning of "explode" and the function of the parameter.

Any suggestion please?

Thanks in advance.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    A technical sense of 'explode' is "separate something into its parts". An exploded view of a machine, for example, shows all the parts laid out in their proper orientation but not connected. In computing 'explode' seems to usually mean separating a string into an array, for example explode("hyena") = ("h", "y", "e", "n", "a"). I was puzzled by your example, since this didn't seem to fit this. Now I think the reason is this: the invitation goes to a group, called for example users, but does not make use of the fact that users has membership. It doesn't explode users = ("Bill", "Arnold", "Sarah", . . .) into separate invitations to Bill, to Arnold, and so on.

frangs

Spanish Spain
    A technical sense of 'explode' is "separate something into its parts". An exploded view of a machine, for example, shows all the parts laid out in their proper orientation but not connected. In computing 'explode' seems to usually mean separating a string into an array, for example explode("hyena") = ("h", "y", "e", "n", "a"). I was puzzled by your example, since this didn't seem to fit this. Now I think the reason is this: the invitation goes to a group, called for example users, but does not make use of the fact that users has membership. It doesn't explode users = ("Bill", "Arnold", "Sarah", . . .) into separate invitations to Bill, to Arnold, and so on.
    Thanks entangledbank, I couldn't reply until now.
    It makes sense but, following your reasoning, I think it would had been more logical to use "no-explode" when you send a single invitation for the whole group in the sense that, then, you are not individualizing the invitations, i.e., you are not "exploding" the group in single members.
    Anyway, your explanation shows the best way to try to understand the text. I had no idea how to approach it. Thanks!

< Previous | Next >