a parenthese vs. an appositive phrase

LQZ

Mandarin
It was a cheery ending to a peculiar story, one that sent those watching it unfold on television through emotions from horror and mystification to relief. ----taken from New York Times
Dear all,

I am trying to know whether the chunk in red is a parentheses, a appositive phrase or something else. Looking forward to your help. Thanks.

LQZ

• LQZ

Mandarin
    Hi, all,

Could you tell me whether "one" in the red part is an appositive of "a peculiar story"?

Thanks

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, one is the appositive of "a peculiar story".

One
    is in turn modified by the appositive clause: that sent those watching it unfold on television through emotions from horror and mystification to relief.

Usually, I would have criticized your asking the question a second time as "bumping your thread". However, in this case, your rewording of the question was helpful. I hesitated to answer your first version asking whether the red part was an
    appositive phrase because I am not familiar with that term. However, I believe that the two parts together form an appositive phrase, though I am not certain.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Hi, Cagey,

1 If I did something wrong, please tell me directly, I will pay more attention to avoid it. Thank you. :)
    2 Since I am itching to learn English, you could usually see me post many questions.:eek:
    3 Let me go back to the "one".:D

One is in turn modified by the appositive clause: that sent those watching it unfold on television through emotions from horror and mystification to relief.
    I disagree, in my opinion "one" is modified by the relatvie clause: that sent those watching it unfold on ........

Cagey

English - US
    We agree that one is modified by the clause "that sent ...." Our disagreement concerns whether or not to call that clause an "appositive clause".

You may be right that this is not an appositive clause but a relative clause. I will have to think more about the difference between them.

Forero

I believe the whole phrase, including the relative clause, is an appositive to "a peculiar story". In particular one means "a story", and the relative clause explains "peculiar".

Cagey

English - US
    Yes, I agree that it is a relative clause.

An appositive clause would be something like:
    a story [....], one that the moon is made of green cheese ...
    but that is not what we have here.

< Previous | Next >