a part of the United Arab Emirates

LQZ

Mandarin
THE extent of the fading of glitz and glam of Dubai, part of the United Arab Emirates, may become more apparent—so to will the damage its ills might wreak on financial markets around the world. ——The Economist
Dear all,

My question is why not a part in the quoted one. In my opinion, if I say A is a part of B, this suggests B consists of a number of components, A is a part of B. Because Dubai is one country and the United Arab Emirates consists of several countries, so Dubai should be a part of the United Arab Emirates.

Am I right? Thank you.

LQZ

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Part of' seems to be an idiom. We can't leave out the article with synonyms: Dubai is a piece/portion/member of the UAE. But plain 'part of' is probably more common, especially in some contexts: Part of me wants to agree with you; Part of the building collapsed yesterday; I saw part of the film yesterday. 'A' is possible here, but less likely.

LQZ

Mandarin
    'Part of' seems to be an idiom. We can't leave out the article with synonyms: Dubai is a piece/portion/member of the UAE. But plain 'part of' is probably more common, especially in some contexts: Part of me wants to agree with you; Part of the building collapsed yesterday; I saw part of the film yesterday. 'A' is possible here, but less likely.
    Thank you, entangledbank. :)

Would you please look at the following rules about a part of and part of ?
    I just want to get confirmation whether they are not almost always applied to.

If you say A is part of B, this suggests that A is integral to B , in other words, A and B are indivisible.
    If you say A is a part of B, this suggests B consists of a number of components, A is a part of B.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I think you would be better served googling for "a part of" and seeing the range of things people say. There is certainly some slight difference between the two, but there is also a very large overlap. I doubt there could be a clear rule for choosing.

LQZ

Mandarin
    I think you would be better served googling for "a part of" and seeing the range of things people say. There is certainly some slight difference between the two, but there is also a very large overlap. I doubt there could be a clear rule for choosing.
    Thanks again. I've got it. :)

< Previous | Next >