a partial oblique

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
At a crime scene:
-- Mulder here found a print on the TV -- a partial oblique -- and it's not the victim's.
(and we see some man taking a print from the tv screen)
The X-Files, TV series

Is the 'oblique' here a noun meaning "something that is oblique"? Thank you.

• heypresto

English - England
    A 'partial' here means just a bit of a fingerprint. I suspect 'oblique' is a technical term in the fingerprint business, meaning something like 'at an angle'.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    A 'partial' here means just a bit of a fingerprint. I suspect 'oblique' is a technical term in the fingerprint business, meaning something like 'at an angle'.
    Do you mean "partial" here is a noun and the "a" goes with it? And the "oblique" is an adjective?

heypresto

English - England
    I should have been clearer. A 'partial' on its own, would be a noun meaning a partial fingerprint. And I'm guessing an 'oblique' on its own would be a noun meaning an oblique fingerprint. Putting the two together, 'partial' becomes an adjective describing the 'oblique'.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    He is saying it is a partial oblique fingerprint. Both words in bold are adjectives. Both are technical terms, with precise meanings within the field of fingerprinting.

Loob

English UK
    Yes, it has to be a noun here: if it was an adjective, the phrase would be "a partial oblique one".

Loob

English UK
    We're disagreeing with doji, Vic - at least, I am;).

----------

EDIT. I've just read Julian's post below - I now see where doji was coming from....

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    So it is a noun here, not an adjective.
    That's what I asked... Doji said it was an adjective.
    In his sentence it was an adjective because he used it to modify the noun fingerprint.:)
    When used on its own we could regard it as an adjective if we consider the word fingerprint to have been omitted through ellipsis. However, it can be used as a standalone noun too - these categorizations are not governed by any law and this type of duality is not uncommon.

< Previous | Next >