a party girl

shema

Japanese
Hi,

Could somebody tell me the meaning of "Don't be a party girl."?

I can't understand exactly what it means.

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    Hello shema
    Please give us some context. :) Where did you hear or read this, what was the general topic of discussion and who was talking.
    Hermione

shema

Japanese
    Hello shema
    Please give us some context. :) Where did you hear or read this, what was the general topic of discussion and who was talking.
    Hermione

When I was a high school student, I went abroad to NZ.
    and when I graduated from high school, my friends there gave me T-shirts as a present which have many messages from my friends.
    One of my friends, a 17-year-old boy, wrote it!!
    Is it a kind of kidding?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Thank you for the context shema :)

It's hard for me to say what a 17-year-old male New Zealander might have meant! Does "Don't be a party girl'" mean stop being one or please don't become one. A form of kidding, yes we hope so.
    'A party girl 'has several levels of meaning. First, it means a girl who has a very busy social life or more often, one whose only interest in life is parties or having fun, somebody who has no serious interests and no 'real' job.

It can often mean or imply a girl who drinks too much, uses drugs and sleeps around.

I admit that I am not very good at reading T-shirts! Even when I know what they mean I often wonder what the point is. A younger person could advise you better about wearing it.

:)

Hermione

Filipino (Kinaray-a, Ilonggo, Tagalog)
    I agree with Hermione Golightly

Party girl means a lot.
    If you're always going to a party, maybe that boy was trying to advise you not to do it anymore. But if you're not, then maybe he's just kidding... :) :) :)

sendintheclowns

Norwegian
    In Singapore and Malaysia, a "Party Girl" is a local girl who dates a lot of foreign men, usually that she meets in bars. It doesn't really have anything directly to do with "party", it's more of a derogatory term referring to somebody who is promiscuous... So yes, hopefully it was a joke! (Unless it means something entirely different in NZ :) )

shema

Japanese
    Thank you for the context shema :)

It's hard for me to say what a 17-year-old male New Zealander might have meant! Does "Don't be a party girl'" mean stop being one or please don't become one. A form of kidding, yes we hope so.
    'A party girl 'has several levels of meaning. First, it means a girl who has a very busy social life or more often, one whose only interest in life is parties or having fun, somebody who has no serious interests and no 'real' job.

It can often mean or imply a girl who drinks too much, uses drugs and sleeps around.

I admit that I am not very good at reading T-shirts! Even when I know what they mean I often wonder what the point is. A younger person could advise you better about wearing it.

Thank you for your comments!!
    actually I didnt go to parties a lot when I was there, neither did I drink.
    so...I hope he was kidding!!

shema

Last edited by a moderator:

shema

Japanese
    I agree with Hermione Golightly

Party girl means a lot.
    If you're always going to a party, maybe that boy was trying to advise you not to do it anymore. But if you're not, then maybe he's just kidding... :) :) :)
    Thank you for your comments.

I surely understand it was a joke.
    I was not going to parties a lot and didnt drink alcohol.

shema

Japanese
    In Singapore and Malaysia, a "Party Girl" is a local girl who dates a lot of foreign men, usually that she meets in bars. It doesn't really have anything directly to do with "party", it's more of a derogatory term referring to somebody who is promiscuous... So yes, hopefully it was a joke! (Unless it means something entirely different in NZ :) )

Thank you for your help.
    Now I surely understand he was joking.
    He sometimes told me many "not good words"in English.( of course we are still good friends.)

< Previous | Next >