a pass off

yuechu

Canada, English
Hello,
I'm reading the book "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier and came across the following dialogue:

"Have a good day, Jerry?"
His father's voice restored normalcy. "Okay. I guess. Another [football] practice. One of these days, I'll get a pass off."

Does anyone know what a "pass off" is? Does he just mean that one of these days he won't have to go to football practice?

Thanks!

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    If this is soccer, it might be a self-deprecating comment meaning that he will make a successful pass to another player on his own team, rather than being tackled and losing the ball to the other team.

To get a pass off can mean to make a pass to another player on one's own side.

A player who doesn't get a pass off is a very poor player, so he may be saying 'Next time I'll make at least one pass to my own side, ie. I'll do better'.

Last edited:

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Pretty sure it's not soccer. But it's the same idea in football. One of these days, he will make a successful pass (throw or hand the ball to another player on his own team).

pob14

American English
    "Getting a pass off" in American football implies throwing the ball before being tackled by the opposition. It does not imply completing the pass (having it caught by a teammate). So it's not just that he can't throw a successful pass; he hasn't been able to throw one at all.

yuechu

Canada, English
    I confirm that this is for American football in this context. Thanks, everyone, for your help! :)

< Previous | Next >