a pass off

Discussion in 'English Only' started by yuechu, Oct 4, 2015.

1. yuechu Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Hello,
    I'm reading the book "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier and came across the following dialogue:

"Have a good day, Jerry?"
    His father's voice restored normalcy. "Okay. I guess. Another [football] practice. One of these days, I'll get a pass off."

Does anyone know what a "pass off" is? Does he just mean that one of these days he won't have to go to football practice?

Thanks!

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Is Jerry a quarterback for the team?

3. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    If this is soccer, it might be a self-deprecating comment meaning that he will make a successful pass to another player on his own team, rather than being tackled and losing the ball to the other team.

To get a pass off can mean to make a pass to another player on one's own side.

A player who doesn't get a pass off is a very poor player, so he may be saying 'Next time I'll make at least one pass to my own side, ie. I'll do better'.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  4. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Pretty sure it's not soccer. But it's the same idea in football. One of these days, he will make a successful pass (throw or hand the ball to another player on his own team).

5. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    "Getting a pass off" in American football implies throwing the ball before being tackled by the opposition. It does not imply completing the pass (having it caught by a teammate). So it's not just that he can't throw a successful pass; he hasn't been able to throw one at all.

6. yuechu Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    I confirm that this is for American football in this context. Thanks, everyone, for your help! :)