A passage about renewable energy

< Previous | Next >

AreYouMetal

Russian
could you help me with this passage please?i understand well the idea of the whole paragraph, but this red colored line doesn't make any sense to me. Need some explanations.

Instead of just a few owners we now suddenly have hundreds of thousands of owners, millions even. Energy supply is being democratized. There are more self-suppliers, and there's more individual autonomy, more local autonomy, regional and national autonomy. Those are the different phases with the required technologies. Physically all this is only possible with renewable energies – for everyone. Which means: we're facing the biggest economic structural change since the start of the industrial age.

from the movie "The 4th revolution: energy autonomy".

Last edited:
  • perpend

Banned
    American English
    I guess it means that those phases are (from previous sentence): individual, local, regional, and national

with the required technologies

The English doesn't flow the greatest. Was it written by a native speaker?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    We ask you to name the source of every quotation. (See Rule 4.) The information can help us answer your question, as perpend suggests. :)

A link to the original source may be useful, if it is available. It is not required.

AreYouMetal

Russian
    By 'name the source' we mean that you should give the title and author of the piece you are quoting, as well as the name of the publication or website on which it appears.

Thank you.
    It's a quotation from the below-mentioned movie. The man who's speaking is Hermann Scheer, a pretty well-known German politician.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Well, if the subtitles were translated by someone, then the English is already "second-hand" as it were.

From what I gather, he just means that with the current technologies that are needed for energy distribution, the phases of how this new distribution and autonomy will take place are in the order: individual, local, regional, national

Having said that, it's just a guess, since the translation in the subtitles is just that--a translation. Who knows if it's more or less correct.

AreYouMetal

Russian
    thanks perpend, I can see your point of view.

My thoughts led me to the following conclusion: The same technology works differently on different (individual,local etc) level.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >