a path forked or divided in three ways

< Previous | Next >

tufguy

hindi
Can I say "a path forked or divided in three ways"? For example "I was walking on a road and after a few meters it got forked in three different ways. I got confused that which path to take."

• MarcB

US English
    Fork in the road refers to two paths.

Marco A. Almazan:
    "The truly skillful politician is one who, when he comes to a fork in the road, goes both ways."

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    after a few meters it got forked in three different ways.
    No, "got forked" can't be used here. I would use "split": "the path split into three paths."

You cannot use "ways" to mean "paths". But "ways" can have several meanings in this sentence, depending on how it is used:

1) You can say "the path split three ways". There "ways" is not a noun. The phrase means one path turned into three paths. We talk about "a three-way split".

2) Saying "in different ways" changes the meaning of "ways" to "kinds". "The path split in three different ways" means "the path performed three different kinds of splitting" (which doesn't make sense here).

3) You can also use "ways" to mean directions. The path split, with the three new paths "going three different ways".

< Previous | Next >