a peace and patience

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Kajeetah, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Kajeetah

Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    Hi!

This is a line from a TV series.

I don't really get this bit:

"Extend an invitation for parley on the eve of his defeat. If he bows to me, he can avoid Mongol steel. Propose a peace and patience to him, see what it gets you."

Does that mean, "propose a peace to him, and ask him to be patient"? It doesn't make sense to me. And why "a peace", instead of "peace"?

This is what is written, but what I hear is "propose a peace of patience to him", does that make more sense? And if it does, what is "a peace of patience"? It seems to be related to buddhism but is it a set expression outside that context? Does it mean "a truce"?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

2. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I suppose "propose a peace and patience to hiim" could well mean just what you suggest: "propose a peace to him and ask him to be patient".
    In the context, it is perhaps a bit more like "propose a peace to him and tell him to be patient". After all, the speaker is assuming that "he" will be defeated if he does not accept the proposal.

I'm reasonably sure that it is not "peace of patience", but there could be some other mis-transcription or error.

3. Kajeetah

Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    Thank you very much for your answer, panjadrum!