A perceptive reading and means of expressing

< Previous | Next >

alibey71

Türkçe
"His policies reflected equally a manipulation of the working classes and a perceptive reading and means of expressing and acting on their concerns."

I couldn't understand the emphasized part of the sentence, can anybody help me? Thanks in advance.

The source: Fascism To Populism In History by Federico Finchelstein.

• "a reading" means an interpretation. It means 'he'--Vargas-- correctly saw and interpreted the concerns; he 'read' them correctly.

Besides that, he gave them a means of expressing (talking about) and acting on their concerns. He gave them a 'voice' so to say, and showed them a way to take action to regarding on their concerns.

In short, a fascist-type approach looks to workers' resentments and anxieties and tells them, "I hear you; I feel for you; you are under siege." Then besides the rallies and political actions, there may be policies that will appeal, e.g. the politician will say, "I'll reduce your taxes" or "I'll keep out the foreigners that are taking your jobs."

alibey71

Türkçe
    "a reading" means an interpretation. It means 'he'--Vargas-- correctly saw and interpreted the concerns; he 'read' them correctly.

Besides that, he gave them a means of expressing (talking about) and acting on their concerns. He gave them a 'voice' so to say, and showed them a way to take action to regarding on their concerns.

In short, a fascist-type approach looks to workers' resentments and anxieties and tells them, "I hear you; I feel for you; you are under siege." Then besides the rallies and political actions, there may be policies that will appeal, e.g. the politician will say, "I'll reduce your taxes" or "I'll keep out the foreigners that are taking your jobs."
    Thanks bennymix, I got it.

< Previous | Next >