a person who always tag along with other people

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello all

What is one word for an annoying person who always tries to tag along with other people and hang out with them and go to places with them even though the person or the people who he tries to spend time with are not that much interested in spending time with him.

In my language, we have word like glue....."he sticks to you like glue" and the meaning is that you don't like hanging out with that person but he is always trying to be with you.

thank you in advance

• The Newt

English - US
    Thanks. Is tagalong used in American English or just British English?
    Isn't fifth wheel for a situation when two couples and one extra guy go out?
    "Tagalong" is used in AE, although it becomes a bit confusing because it's also the brand name of a popular cookie; the verb "to tag along" is fairly common. "Fifth wheel" can be used in the situation you describe, but it's not restricted to it.

supermarioutd

Persian
    I am looking for a word that describes a person's personality. Like he always try to tag along with other people even though he is not wanted.

supermarioutd

Persian
    Where in your context did you specify someone who spends a lot of time with a rich or important person?
    Actually, this is a definition from the dictionary for "hanger-on" in that it says a hanger on is a person who tries to stick to rich people.
    I'm looking for someone in a university or school who tries to hang out with you but you don't want to hang out with them.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Actually, this is a definition from the dictionary for "hanger-on" in that it says a hanger on is a person who tries to stick to rich people.
    A lot of dictionaries have that definition but it isn't always necessarily the case.

I'm looking for someone in a university or school who tries to hang out with you but you don't want to hang out with them.
    The Urban Dictionary has this definition:

A hanger-on is a person often without any friends who follows around popular groups in for example school or at parties/clubs etc. trying to become part of that group.

supermarioutd

Persian
    A lot of dictionaries have that definition but it isn't always necessarily the case.

The Urban Dictionary has this definition:

A hanger-on is a person often without any friends who follows around popular groups in for example school or at parties/clubs etc. trying to become part of that group.
    OK. Thanks

What about a girl who tries to stick to a boy when the boy is not interested in her at all?
    I have heard clingy, but clingy I think is for a situation when they are going out the girl is always calling the boy and asking him to take her out.
    There is no relationship between them and the girl keeps on trying to stick to the boy and become his girlfriend.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    You can say that someone is like someone else's shadow (i.e. They can't be detached from that person).

There is also the saying that 'He/she is like Shadow the sheepdog' (i.e. They keep following someone around like a sheepdog which is always at its owner's side waiting for some command or sign of affection).

Shadow the Sheepdog
    As the title states, this story is about Shadow, a sheep dog, born on the farm from one of the other sheep dogs. Her name was Jessie and she had three pups, two were sold, and the third was also sold, but kept returning to the farm, and so the son of the farmer, a boy called Johnny was allowed to keep the pup, providing the dog worked for his living, as did the other dogs on the farm.

Johnny called the dog Shadow, as he was constantly by his side.
    Shadow, the Sheep-Dog by Enid Blyton

Last edited:

supermarioutd

Persian
    You can say that someone is like someone else's shadow (i.e. They can't be detached from that person).

There is also the saying that 'He/she is like Shadow the sheepdog' (i.e. They keep following someone around like a sheepdog which is always at its owner's side waiting for some command or sign of affection).

Shadow the Sheepdog
    As the title states, this story is about Shadow, a sheep dog, born on the farm from one of the other sheep dogs. Her name was Jessie and she had three pups, two were sold, and the third was also sold, but kept returning to the farm, and so the son of the farmer, a boy called Johnny was allowed to keep the pup, providing the dog worked for his living, as did the other dogs on the farm.

Johnny called the dog Shadow, as he was constantly by his side.
    Shadow, the Sheep-Dog by Enid Blyton

Thanks. I have never heard this expression in a movie or something.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Saying that "X is like Y's shadow" is probably a universal idea/expression throughout the English-speaking world. "Shadow the Sheepdog" may be more limited to the UK, Ireland and possibly the Commonwealth, because the author, Enid Blyton, was British.

Last edited:

supermarioutd

Persian
    Saying that "X is like Y's shadow" is probably a universal idea/expression throughout the English-speaking world. "Shadow the Sheepdog" may be more limited to the UK, Ireland and possibly the Commonwealth, because the author, Enid Blyton, was British.
    So if a girl is trying so hard to be with you when you don't want her, you can say she is like my shadow?

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Yes, because that person is always following you around like a shadow whether or not you like it. :)

A shadow is virtually attached to you and so it's like your idea of "like glue" where someone else is "stuck" to you. Also whenever a shadow is with you it always does what you do. :D

supermarioutd

Persian
    Guys does this sentence have a negative connotation? :

She sticks to him like glue.

Does that mean she loves him and maybe he loves her or does it imply a one-sided relationship?

suzi br

English / England
    Guys does this sentence have a negative connotation? :

She sticks to him like glue.

Does that mean she loves him and maybe he loves her or does it imply a one-sided relationship?
    You’d need more context. The words themselves do not have enough information to tell us the answer.
    It could be positive or negative, depending on the context.

< Previous | Next >