a person who doesn't deserve... but is given...

< Previous | Next >

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
Hi. I wrote a sentence as follows:

An unworthy person who doesn't deserve well of anyone but is given much more than he could have ever thought about.

Is there anything grammatically wrong or improper usage found with this sentence? Thanks for the advice.

• drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
    It isn't a complete sentence. That doesn't automatically make it "improper" or ungrammatical, but if you want to write a complete sentence, you'd need to alter this one.
    Hi there. What do you mean it's not a complete sentence? Could you explain to me? Thanks for the help.

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
    Hi. The word "reputation" didn't come to my mind when I wrote the sentence; I intended to express that the person doesn't deserve, well anything good or any good treatment from others.

JustKate

To make it a complete sentence, you need a subject and a verb - a main verb. (There's also often a predicate, but that's not required.) I don't see a subject and a main verb in your sentence. Can you see what I mean?

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
    To make it a complete sentence, you need a subject and a verb - a main verb. (There's also often a predicate, but that's not required.) I don't see a subject and a main verb in your sentence. Can you see what I mean?
    No, I can't. If you ask me, I will tell you the subject is "a person" and the main verbs are "deserve" and "is". Thanks for the help.

JustKate

No, that isn't how it scans. What you have right now are two phrases linked by a conjuction:
    Phrase #1:An unworthy person who doesn't deserve well of anyone
    Conjuction: but
    Phrase #2: is given much more than he could have ever thought about.

You see, you don't have a main verb. There are a number of ways that this could be turned into a complete sentence, but I'm not sure how to do that because I don't know what you're trying to say.

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
    I was trying to say that there's a man who is so bad that he doesn't deserve any good treatment from any other people, but somehow he is being given, which means he is receiving benefits from someone.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
    "Unworthy" means "lacking worth or merit". I tried to emphasize the badness in his characteristic. I tried to tell a story that a bad person who doesn't deserve to be treated nicely but a merciful and powerful one who kindly forgave his sins and all his wrongdoings, stuff like that. And I don't understand why it's an incomplete sentence as JustKate mentioned.

Last edited:

JustKate

OK, here are some complete sentences - not sure which (if any) says what you want to say but I hope they show you what I mean about a complete sentence. And if not, I hope (calling all grammarians! :)) someone who is better at explaining the technicalities of sentence structure will chime in.
    An unworthy person is someone who doesn't deserve well of anyone but is given much more than he could have ever thought about.
    Here the subject is "person," main verb is "is," and the clause starting with "someone" is the predicate.
    An unworthy person who doesn't deserve well of anyone [delete "but'] is given much more than he could have ever thought about.
    Here the main verb is also "is." The subject is "person," modified by both "unworthy" and the clause "who doesn't deserve...anyone." Is becomes the main verb because I've removed the conjunction.
    An unworthy person who doesn't deserve well of anyone but is given much more than he could have ever thought about doesn't deserve good treatment.
    Here I've added a new main verb - "does," part of the contraction "doesn't" - and a predicate.

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
    I see, thanks. I'll choose the second sentence (an unworthy person who doesn't deserve well of anyone is given much more than he could have ever thought about.)

What was I thinking to insert a conjunction "but" in the sentence...

< Previous | Next >