A person who takes a bath despite low temperature

< Previous | Next >
  • panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There is no general term for such a person - unless you want to express your own opinion of their sanity :)
    There are many specific descriptors, for example as Miss Julie has suggested, but these do not generally carry meaning outside their very specific context. For example, without Miss Julie's additional information, I have no idea what members of the polar bear club do.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    "Polar bears", as Miss Julie said, bathe in very cold natural bodies of water, usually in groups - for example, on New Year's Day in northern countries (and, I suppose, the equivalent in the Southern hemisphere). However, "to bathe" (intransitive)" (= to go swimming) is not the same as "to take a bath" - at least, not in modern American English, the latter meaning "to cleanse oneself in water".

MateuszMoś

Ok, I am sorry. I meant to plunge or to be waist-high plunged in the water just for a few minutes.
    Thank you for your comments. I will remember that there is no specific term for the activity :)

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    No need to say you're sorry, Mateusz - see my signature, we're all here to improve our foreign languages! As for "winter swimmer", although I've never heard it - why not? (Where did you 'find' it?)

Loob

English UK
    "Winter swimmer" would work for me, Mateusz:thumbsup:.

EDIT: removed reference to deleted post.​

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I have never heard anybody say anything but 'give the baby a bath', and for oneself and others, 'have a bath'.
    Talking about going or putting something into water for reasons other than hygiene, it would be 'bathe' or 'swim', or 'going into the water' or 'taking a dip', depending.

< Previous | Next >