A person who would <give> <have given> me good care

< Previous | Next >

Shanzz

India
Which one is the correct sentence?

I denied the proposal of a person who would give me good care(that is in the future after marriage). (Note-The sentence in the parantheses is only to clarify what the sentence really tries to convey)
Or
I denied the proposal of a person who would have given me good care.

If both are wrong, what is the correct statement?

• Copy.Cat

Vietnamese
    Which one is the correct sentence?

I denied the proposal of a person who would give me good care(that is in the future after marriage). (Note-The sentence in the parantheses is only to clarify what the sentence really tries to convey)
    Or
    I denied the proposal of a person who would have given me good care.

If both are wrong, what is the correct statement?
    Personally, I suppose both examples are correct, even though sending different meanings.

"I refused the proposal of a person who would give me good care." (to deny is to say that sth is not true) This means you rejected the proposal of someone who have told you that he/she would give you good care.

"I refused the proposal of a person who would have given me good care." This means you rejected the proposal of someone who you have realized by now or at the time of your statement that he/she can give you good care.

/Opinion of a non-native.

Shanzz

India
    Personally, I suppose both examples are correct, even though sending different meanings.

"I refused the proposal of a person who would give me good care." (to deny is to say that sth is not true) This means you rejected the proposal of someone who have told you that he/she would give you good care.

"I refused the proposal of a person who would have given me good care." This means you rejected the proposal of someone who you have realized by now or at the time of your statement that he/she can give you good care.

/Opinion of a non-native.
    This cleared my doubt. Thank you very much:)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    If you have refused this person's proposal, there is no longer the possibility that they would take care of you.

I am considering their proposal. I'm talking about someone who (if I accepted them) would take good care of me.
    I refused their proposal. I'm talking about someone who (if I had accepted them) would have taken good care of me.

The Newt

English - US
    If you have refused this person's proposal, there is no longer the possibility that they would take care of you.

I am considering their proposal. I'm talking about someone who (if I accepted them) would take good care of me.
    I refused their proposal. I'm talking about someone who (if I had accepted them) would have taken good care of me.
    Yes. Perhaps if there was a possibility that you might reconsider, then "would" might still work, but other than that it's a done deal.

Shanzz

India

Thank you very much for clearing my doubt:)

< Previous | Next >