a personal policy that bypassed

vladv

Russian-Russia
Finally, in 1843, the Sixth Department of His Majesty’s Own Chancery came into being, a temporary agency
assigned the task of drawing up an administrative plan for Transcaucasia. The departments of the Chancery served Nicholas I as a major means of conducting a personal policy that bypassed the regular state channels.
N. Riasanovksy "Russian identities"

Is it correct to use an essential relative clause? I would put it "as a major means of conducting a personal policy, which bypassed the regular state channels"

• Uncle Jack

British English
    It is fine. The important thing to me seems to be the bypassing of regular state channels, so the relative clause is essential to the meaning.

If the personal policy were more important, then it would be fine to make the relative clause non-essential.

vladv

Russian-Russia
    Thanks so the essential clause means that there were many perosonal policies?
    It is fine. The important thing to me seems to be the bypassing of regular state channels, so the relative clause is essential to the meaning.

If the personal policy were more important, then it would be fine to make the relative clause non-essential.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Thanks so the essential clause means that there were many perosonal policies?
    No, it is simply a matter of what is essential to the message being conveyed. The most common reason for an essential relative clause is to identify which individual or group is being referred to, but this is not the only reason.

vladv

Russian-Russia
    Thanks a lot! Could you please elaborate on those reasons! I would be very much obliged
    No, it is simply a matter of what is essential to the message being conveyed. The most common reason for an essential relative clause is to identify which individual or group is being referred to, but this is not the only reason.