a personnel who's an working level employee?


Senior Member
How do you refer to someone who's an working level employee at a company?

Let's say you're making a form that shows the list of employees in a department at a electronic company. This department deals with customer services. In a form, one would usually use only simple words not to distort the well-aligned boxed (which is one of the reasons people use Excel spread sheet to make a table). How would you name a column that represents the list of employees who is a working level officer, not someone in charge of the whole department. "in charge of" is something I've frequently seen, but it has a strong feeling of a boss, rather than someone ordinary customers can contact easily. What is the title referring to this kind of employees in a formal way (esp. in the fashion you would often see in a office document)? In my language, we'd say "person who's responsible for actual work", but this one seems less plausible to be in use in the English language.

your feedback would be appreciated.
Last edited:
  • lingobingo

    Senior Member
    English - England
    This is how I see it… All personnel/staff are employees. Some employees are in management, at various levels. There is no generic term for “ordinary” workers – those being managed. Therefore the only way you can describe them as a category is to spell out exactly what type of workers you mean, or simply call them “other” workers – that is, contrast them with categories that can be given a specific title.

    Uncle Jack

    Senior Member
    British English
    There isn't a single correct way of doing this. Using a grade or job title is the most straightforward, but often a single grade or grade range does not cover all the workers you want to list, and many organisations don't have grades anyway. Similarly, the workers may not all share the same job title, even using a general term like "clerks".

    If you are listing the manager separately, then you might be able to use "staff" (column headings: "department", "manager", "staff", for example). Ordinarily, "staff" means all employees including the manager, but here it would automatically be taken to mean that particular manager's staff. You might be able to use "workers" in this way too, but this suggests that managers don't work, and I would be a little surprised to see this in modern-day Britain.


    Senior Member
    English - U.S.
    In my business experience, someone who is not a manager is called an individual contributor.

    Separately, there is no such thing as "a personnel." "Personnel" refers to all the people in a group (a company, a department, a team, etc.) collectively. It does not refer to one person.
    < Previous | Next >