a physician whose chief of staff in his prior role

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does "whose chief of staff in his prior role" mean "Don J. Wright's chief of staff, this chief of staff had a prior role"? Oops! It is simple yet a mess for me.

Thanks in advance
Don J. Wright, the acting secretary, is a physician whose chief of staff in his prior role has advocated for abstinence-based sex education, and who women’s groups have assailed for overseeing cuts to programs that fund contraceptive care.

-Scientific American

Source

• lingobingo

English - England
    The physician Don J. Wright's chief of staff advocated (= was in favour of) abstinence-based sex education when in a prior role (= in the past, when he was doing a different job from his current one).

Myridon

English - US
    It is possible to read it as the chief of staff when Don J Wright was in a prior role, especially if we were to find out the chief of staff is not a "he."

lingobingo

English - England
    It is possible to read it as the chief of staff when Don J Wright was in a prior role, especially if we were to find out the chief of staff is not a "he."
    Yes, sorry. I'm sure you're right. I'm not au fait with US government posts, but no doubt someone will soon confirm who was meant.

< Previous | Next >