A picture needing words

< Previous | Next >

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from the story "The Elk" by H. H. Munro.

Mrs. Yonelet is Dora's mother. She wants her doughter to marry with Bertie who is the heir-designate of rich Teresa (Bertie's grandmother).

There is a saying "A picture is worth a thousand words". Does Teresa refer to that saying by saying "A picture needing words"?

Thank you.

Whatever sport or exercise or occupation Bertie and Dora indulged in together was unfailingly chronicled and advertised by Mrs. Yonelet for the due enlightenment of Bertie's grandmother.
"Those two inseparables have just come in from a bicycle ride," she would announce; "quite a picture they make, so fresh and glowing after their spin."

"A picture needing words," would be Teresa's private comment, and as far as Bertie was concerned she was determined that the words should remain unspoken.

• Oddmania

French
    Hi,

I think what Teresa means is that Bertie and Dora's relationship won't be complete until they say "I love you" to each other.

Maybe someone else will have a different take on this.

chong lee

türkçe
    So I do not think Terasa approve their relation in any case (tell each other "I love you" or not).

ewie

English English
    I think Teresa is saying, "All it is at the moment is a picture: to make it complete it needs to have words" ('I love you; will you marry me?'), but she doesn't want the picture to be completed with those words.

< Previous | Next >