A piece of cake

John_Doe

Russian
<< A piece of cake >>

Hello,

I'm having some difficulties with the interpretation of the piece of text above.
It seems odd to express it like that, but it seems she's so smart, it's almost abnormal. Getting perfect scores on every test is a piece of cake. And that's because, everyone that takes the test would find themselves surprised to be ranked number one, but in Hanekawa Tsubasa's case, she's been at the top for the last two years.
1. Does a piece of cake in this case mean "< something> that would be easily achieved" or "< something> everyone is eager to achieve to"?
2. To whom does the sentence refer? To everyone or to just her?

There's one more question, but I doubt whether it'd be a violation of the rules. Anyway, how do you think, what 'that' in the "that's because" exactly refers to?

Thanks in advance.

<< Note: Please include the topic phrase in the post itself as well as in the title.
Write out abbreviated words in full.
Moderator. >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • modulus

ইংরেজি - আমেরিক
    The sentence refers to her. But you are right, the reference is not clear.

From the WR dictionary:
    a piece of cake informal something easily achieved.

This is a common expression.

Last edited:

Ceremoniar

USA
    American English
    The expression means that something is very easy. In this text it means that it is easy for Hanekewa to score high, that for her it is a piece of cake.

modulus

ইংরেজি - আমেরিক
    I'd have done it by adding "for her" at the end of the sentence.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I think it's a very confusing piece of text! In fact, it doesn't make real sense; it seems to say (maybe) that she gets a perfect score because she did so in the past (which doesn't follow). Where did you find it? And was it written by a native speaker of English?

P.S.: I know that "smth" is used by some writers of books for learners, but it doesn't mean anything in standard English; we use the word something.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Funnily enough, I agree about the whole extract, but not about the part up to the end of the piece of cake passage. I quite like the change of subject between the two opening sentences.

My problem lies in the third sentence. What does that (the second word) refer to? I'm not familiar with this sort of idiom, so perhaps it doesn't have to refer to anything.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Well, the question seems to be about the "a piece of cake" part.

This has been answered.

The whole passage is a bit confusing, the traceability what refers to what or whom being a bit murky.

Still, I can only reiterate, that "a piece of cake" means "no problem" or "it' easy".

- Can you shoot that target over there from 300 yards?
    - Sure. Piece of cake!

pwmeek

English - American
    It looks like "that's (because)" refers back to "getting perfect scores ... is a piece of cake", and is followed by an explanation (albeit a circular explanation) of why she gets perfect scores (or why it's a piece of cake). (It's because she always gets perfect scores. <pause> Yup; that's why.)

The only possible explanation I can think of is that the author of the quoted text doesn't actually know what "a piece of cake" means, and is trying to explain it.

< Previous | Next >