a piece of the cake

Schmear

Dutch - Belgium
I was wondering if "get your piece of the cake" when talking about giving something for free, let's say goods or an amount of money is correct?
Or should my expression better be "get your piece of the action" or "get your share"?

• GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    "piece of cake" would work if it was cake that was being given, however the idiomatic expression "piece of cake" means that something is easy, so I wouldn't use it in this sense.

The other two options seem fine to me. :)

Schmear

Dutch - Belgium
    "piece of cake" would work if it was cake that was being given, however the idiomatic expression "piece of cake" means that something is easy, so I wouldn't use it in this sense.

The other two options seem fine to me. :)
    I knew that 'a piece of cake' is easy but I'm talking about 'a piece of THE cake' I guess that has different meaning.

GMF1991

English (UK, Suffolk)
    I knew that 'a piece of cake' is easy but I'm talking about 'a piece of THE cake' I guess that has different meaning.
    That was my fault, I must have misread your post. I would favour the "piece of the action" phrase over anything else, as "a piece of the cake" is not something I've heard used in this context before...

< Previous | Next >