A piece of track

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by adorobrasil, Nov 10, 2009.

  1. adorobrasil Senior Member

    American English-Midwest
    My son is into Thomas the Train, so I often have occasion to talk about his little wooden train set. I would like to say the following...The track is made up of pieces which fit together. I'm leaning toward...

    Os trilhos consistem em pecas que se ligam

    Can I then say, 'Me de essa peca comprida'?

    While on the subject of trains, I think a train car is a 'vagao', but what is a coal car? Is it still a 'vagao'? Um vagao de carvao? What about a flatbed car?
    Thanks (as always)
  2. Guigo

    Guigo Senior Member

    Rio de Janeiro
    Português (Brasil)
    In Brazil, any train car is a vagão, however in a strict sense it's more used for those cars dealing with everything but people. For people we generally say carro, taking care to distinguish them whenever needed: carro de passageiros, carro-leito, carro-restaurante, etc.

    A coal car is a (vagão) carvoeiro and the flatbed is a (vagão) plataforma.

    Me dê essa peça comprida or Dê-me essa peça comprida are both OK.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009

Share This Page