a piercing glance

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi.

I read a sentence in Cambridge.org. (Source: piercing)

Sherlock Holmes gave him a piercing glance.

Piercing eyes/look/gaze/glance,etc. used to describe when a person looks very carefully at someone or something, especially when they are trying to discover something, often making people feel uncomfortable.

How can "a piercing glance" discover something and make people feel uncomfortable?

• Chez

English English
    It is as though the look can 'pierce' (cut through) the person to see or understand something hidden inside them (or their brain). That would make you feel uncomfortable, especially if you DID have something to hide.

heypresto

English - England
    Here's the recent TV Holmes giving what I would call a piercing look:

He could be trying to work something out, and it could be described as intimidating.

Cross pierced posted.

utopia62000

Persian
    Hi.

I read a sentence in Cambridge.org. (Source: piercing)

Sherlock Holmes gave him a piercing glance.

Piercing eyes/look/gaze/glance,etc. used to describe when a person looks very carefully at someone or something, especially when they are trying to discover something, often making people feel uncomfortable.

How can "a piercing glance" discover something and make people feel uncomfortable?
    Suppose you are bald and using a wig and someone is looking at your hair (wig) very carefully and with a piercing glance. Won't you feel uncomfortable?

kentix

English - U.S.
    You can figure out many things by how people react when they are under stress. The piercing glance provides the stress. The look on their face provides the information. Do they look guilty? Do they look honest and innocent? Do they look nervous but not guilty? Etc.

< Previous | Next >