a piggy back ride straight to hell

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Tintinkerbell, May 20, 2012.

1. Tintinkerbell

Tintinkerbell Member

Pula, Croatia
    Croatian
    Hello,
    I'm translating a movie called Wild Orchid 2.

A father and a daughter are driving in a car. They are talking about how he met her mum in a town like the one they are passing through right now. This is what he says:

"F: I was blowing through a town like this when I met your Mum for the first time. Never even talked to her. She was just standing out in front of a little white house, smiling as I drove by.
    D: Then what?
    F: Well, a beautiful girl started haunting me, I played her face over and over again in my head. A month later I came back, gave her a piggy back ride straight to hell."

What does this sentence mean? He took her for a ride and she sat at the back seat? ... but what is piggy? and straight to hell means that they had some bad times afterwards..?

Thank you.

2. DocPenfro

DocPenfro Senior Member

Little England
    English - British
    It's not piggy in isolation: the word/phrase is piggy-back (spelled variously as a single word, a hyphenated word or as two words). It refers to one person carrying another (usually smaller) on their back or shoulders, i.e. giving them a ride. Your interpretation of straight to hell is correct.

3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    " gave her a piggy back ride straight to hell." means that, together, but with him in control, they had some bad times afterwards.

4. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    I'd interpret 'straight to hell' as more serious than 'some bad times'. To me it's more likely to be similar to 'a life of misery'.