A pitcher of beer

• EdwinT

Chinese
    Most commonly, we say "一扎啤酒", although the word 扎 here means a large, somewhat cylindrical-shaped, glass container with a handle, but without a lid.
    But it seems that the "pitcher" you are talking about is different from the container i described above. So I don't quite know about any particular term in Chinese that could be used to describe it.:)

tdwmy

Chinese
    Most commonly, we say "一扎啤酒", although the word 扎 here means a large, somewhat cylindrical-shaped, glass container with a handle, but without a lid.But it seems that the "pitcher" you are talking about is different from the container i described above. So I don't quite know about any particular term in Chinese that could be used to describe it.:)
    what i thought about first is also 扎,but then i want to find a chinese word that can describe that container, seems there is no such word in chinese~

SuperXW

我在网上查到 扎啤 好像是 beer on draft.
    进一步查draft beer,wikipedia给出以下定义:
    "Draught beer (also known as draft beer or tap beer) is beer served in a pub or bar from a cask or keg.[1] "Canned draught" is beer served from a pressurised container containing a widget."
    我在想这和a pitcher of beer是不是一回事……

Lugubert

How large is a pitcher of beer? I get the impression that the answers refer to a fairly normal glass, say a pint or 400-500 ml. But most Google hits go for 1.5 litres/3 pints.

Not at all. When Chinese think of “壶”, we create an image of something made of metal. Try to visualize something made of glass or plastic. “壶” is the only choice. “扎” is not correct, it's only in Cantonese. ^_^

SuperXW

Not at all. When Chinese think of “壶”, we create an image of something made of metal. Try to visualize something made of glass or plastic. “壶” is the only choice. “扎” is not correct, it's only in Cantonese. ^_^
    Maybe Cantonese first borrowed 扎 from English, but since then it has been accepted by northern Chinese for like 20 years. It's totally correct now...
    When I think of 壶, I'll imagine a container with a handle and a spout, and is used for pouring water into cups...

< Previous | Next >